Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Exotic flavors



Recently I cam across two things that justified a blog posting. First is the recently discovered lost 32nd flavor of Baskin Robbins, Sweet Corn. I saw this sign outside a local KFC, and had to take a pict since I knew no one would ever believe me if it told them. Now a corn-ice-cream-sundae seemed quit normal to my Thai friends, while an Indian mutton curry seemed disgusting. “Who eats goat?” they asked. Apparently not the same people who eat sweet corn sundaes…



The second event is the release of a new Thai film called “Som Tam” aka “Papaya Salad”. Those of you who have enjoyed Thai papaya salad know it’s a little bit spicy, and on occasion, a lot o` bit spicy, but completely bearable. The premise for this film, is a kind-hearted giant falang in Thailand, who after being “jumped” by tiny Thai street thugs, is helped by two Thai girls who try to teach him Mutai kick-boxing. The girls accidentally discover that spicy Som Tam salad brings out the “beast” in him. They then continue on some rampage of violence that I’m not to sure about, but they rip apart a plane which is cool.


After seeing the trailer for “Som Tam”, I understand the concerned looks and cautious warnings Thais' give me when I order Som Tam. They are afraid of me hulking out and tearing their stalls apart…


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home