Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sad but true


Recently I was watching “The Confederate States of America” (2004), a British mockumentry of a what America would be like if the South hadn’t lost the Civil War (or “acts of insurgency in the South” as FoxNews would call it today). The movie included ads for products with racist names, that would be appropriat if the racist South had won.
One such product was “Darkie” toothpaste.

Once I finish watching the movie, I went to brush my teeth and noticed the image on the toothpaste of the guy next me. It was shockingly similar to the Darkie brand I had just seen in C.S.R.

After a little web research, I discovered that Darkie is still marketed in Asia. Recently, the manufactures changed the name in english to “Darlie”, yet it remains the same in Chinese.

Strange place…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home