Thursday, September 21, 2006

Regime change & Holidays

I awoke this morning to discover to my great surprise that during the night a coup d'etat had taken place in Thailand. Now I was supposed to fly to Bangkok this Friday for the weekend to visit friends before continuing to Cambodia for a few days during an upcoming school vacation. I presume that a normal person would seriously consider canceling in light of an armed revolt by the military. For those of you who haven’t caught on, I never did “normality” very well. What I did do however was call the airline and ask to get on the next available flight, which is tonight (Thursday), so I will be off to Bangkok to see what’s going on.

Seeing as Singapore is quite boring (did anyone say IMF protests?), I look forward to a little intrigue. Having lived in the Middle East, I seem to get antsy when the greatest risk is getting a $5000 fine for spitting on the street.

I started a little tradition a few years back, to do something exciting (preferably in the form of travel) for my Birthday. This year, assuming I make it out of Bangkok, I will be going to Angkor in Cambodia, which is apparently one of the worlds greatest sights to behold. I find this the best form of birthday present, besides perhaps cold-hard cash, since it gives me something to look forward to, a reason to continue with the drudgery of life, for one more year. So far it’s been going peaty well….

I will post picts when I get back, so you have something to look forward to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home