Saturday, August 30, 2008

Veni, vidi, vici, I got deported




As most of you know by now, I was in Beijing for the 2008 Olympics, and participated in a none-violent action for Tibet and Human Rights in China. Full information of our action is available HERE & HERE.

What wasn’t reported, was what happened after I was carried away. I was detained & questioned for about 8 hours, an interesting experience for me, being on the other side. To be honest it wasn’t that bad, as the Chinese did not seem interested in interrogating us, but rather getting us on the next plane out. I was lucky, since Chinese and Tibetans face much worse. Even the foreigners who were detained after my group, were subjected to harsher treatment, including sensory manipulation (for those who aren’t on Dick Cheney’s list-serve, that means switching the temperature from extreme heat to cold), stress positions, and sleep deprivation. The “New Face” of China indeed. Thankfully everybody is now safely home.

After the 8 hours we were put on a plane to LA, and 30 hours later I arrived in Washington DC with 3 other team members. Exhausted, we were surprised to be greeted by a group of local Tibetans at the airport, thankful for our actions on their behalf. Over the weekend we met with more local Tibetans from the DC area. Their appreciation was sincere and deep, and put into perspective what we did and for whom we did it. Even with my long history of activism, it was truly a touching moment. After a rejuvenating weekend in DC with good friends, I returned to Bangkok and my “normal” life.

People ask me what the protest in Beijing achieved. First of all, our actions strengthened the morale and resolve of the Tibetan people, both in occupied Tibet and in the Diaspora. After nearly 50 years under the Chinese boot, Tibetans need all the support they can get, especially the younger generation looking for inspiration and hope. Second, we did our bit to make sure the world wasn’t fooled by China’s Leni Riefenstahl-esk attempts to project a picture of a harmonious social utopia. A small achievement perhaps, but significant to those who live under oppression.

Hear it for yourself....




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home