Friday, December 29, 2006

On the road again II



Dear Loyal readers,

I am writing once again from Luang Prabang, in Laos. I went hiking up in Northern Lao, and even tried crossing into Vietnam at the North Estern town of Muang Mai. I got to the border, but despite all my schmoozing, charm, and even a game of Badminton the Lao immigration officer just wouldn't let me through... Turns out the crossing is for domestic use only (ie only Lao & Vietnamese).

The attempt was well worth it though, despite not getting into Vietnam. There were very few buses, so i hitched a ride on top of a truck, with amazing roof-top panoramic scenery of clod covered rice valleys :) In addition, the whole attempt cost me $3, and i got to spend time in amazing villages along the way, crammed in with locales into small minivans. After that unsuccessful attempt, I made a rush to LP, in 18 hours of travel, all for a hot shower (1st in 3 days). Tomorrow i leave for Hanoi in Vietnam, where i shall spend New Years.

While waiting for the bus to leave on my way to LP, I had a strange experience. I got a little tired of the whole traveling stress, and got a little home sick (the early morning buses, the cold, and lack of coffee didn't help). But then i started thinking, home-sick for where? Israel? not really, if id be there it would be winter and cold, in addition to all the usual drama. NY? not really, kind of cold and all my friends are away for the holiday. So having concluded that i have nowhere else to be, i might as well stay here in Asia a bit longer. All part of the Yin-Yan attributes to being homeless i guess :) and if you gots to be somewhere, here aint all that bad.

I know i have been bad with holiday greetings, but here's wishing you all a very happy New Year, may love and happiness be your companion wherever you may find yourselves.

Fox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home