Sunday, January 21, 2007

At a Journeys End




I took advantage of a lay-over in Athens international Airport, on my way from Israel back to New York, to write the concluding entry of this chapter of adventure, travels doings since May 2006, when I left the States.




During this time, I have traveled to many places, seen many things, met varied and interesting people, fulfilled many a dream and experienced so much, words fail to summarize aptly. How can I sum up the events of the past 8 months, 4 continents, 10 countries, 2 Passports, 1 war, 1 coup, and 0 canings from Singapore? It may sound cliché, but its bee a Long Strange Trip. While the past few months have born enough excitement to last a lifetime, I have a feeling that it’s not over yet, with the best yet to come.



Lewis Carroll composed the below poem as the preface of Through the Looking Glass, which I feel to be appropriate, as I end my long summer and return to the New York winter.
“Without, the frost, the blinding snow,
The storm-wind’s moody madness –
Within, the firelight’s ruddy glow
And childhood’s nest of gladness.
The magic hwords shall hold fast;
Thou shalt not heed the raving blast.

And though the shadow of a sigh
May tremble through the story,
For “happy summer days” gone by,
And vanish’d summer glory –
It shall not touch with breath of bale,
The pleasance of our fairy-tale. "




Some more pictures of Lao and Vietnam (Part I & Part II) can be accessed by clicking on the links.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home